Recipe Name: Indo BBQ Pork Ribs
PREP 15 MINS + 30min – 1hr of marinating COOK 120 MINS SERVES 4
2 racks of baby back pork ribs
3 – 4 Bay Leaves
Thumb size of Turmeric, peeled
Thumb size of Ginger, peeled
Thumb size of Galangal, peeled
2 stalks Lemongrass, outer skin removed
6 cloves of Garlic
4 cayenne peppers
2-5 Bird’s Eye Chilies (depending on taste)
2 teaspoons ground Coriander
Half a tablespoon of Prawn Paste
1-2 tablespoon Palm Sugar or brown sugar
5 Kaffir Lime Leaves
1 cup of Vegetable Oil
1. In a Mortar or pestle, or a hand blender, make the spice paste by blending all the ingredients together. Add oil to blend to a smooth paste.
2. In a hot pan, add some oil and lightly fry off the paste & add your bay leaves
3. Put your pork ribs into a bowl and massage well with all of the spice paste.
4. Cover and transfer it to the fridge and marinate. The longer to better!
5. While the pork is marinating, fire you your barbie! Charcoal BBQ’s are the best for flavour!
6. Take out your ribs and take off any excess marinating paste.
7. Place the rib rack over the indirect low heat and as far from the coals as possible, with the bone sides facing toward the charcoal. Close the lid. Close the top vent about halfway. Cook for 1hr.
8. With the marinating paste, add a little more oil. You’ll be lightly basing the pork rack each side, a couple of times until its cooked through!
9. After the first hour, flip it over. Base and close the lid. Cook for another hour.
10. After another hour of cooking, check to see if your ribs are cooked through. The meat should shrink a little from the bones and when picking them up with tongs, the meat should tear easily. If not, give it another 30mins and continue with basing.
11. Once cooked, transfer to a sheet pan and tightly cover with aluminium foil. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
12. Cut up, serve warm and with some rice! Yum!!!